Re: hosts detailed in hosts file not resolved

Subject: Re: hosts detailed in hosts file not resolved
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 17 May 2006, Graeme Fowler wrote:

Hi

On 17/05/2006 15:48, Rafael Vallejo wrote:
I have a problem with name resolution that I need in order to put working heartbeat, check the content of these files
<snip>
[root@nas root]# host nas2

'host' is part of the bind-utils package. As such it is used to carry out DNS lookups.

What do you get if you simply do 'ping nas2'?

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.services.general.html#name_resolution

It would be nice if the application asked a resolver for name resolution and the resolver looked for /etc/hosts, or to see if a name server was running etc. It turns out there is no such facility as a resolver. Each application has to use its own method of name resolution. It can lookup /etc/resolv.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf or it may not. If it looks at these files, it doesn't have to take any notice of the contents.

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!