Re: Looking for Simple Instructions

Subject: Re: Looking for Simple Instructions
From: Matthew <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:33:31 -0600
Roberto,

> Oh, interesting. Do you have a physical network sketch?

No. But I'm sure its something like this: (pardon the bad ascii)

                ----------
                  switch
                ----------
                    ^

    |         |        |         |         |
[server1] [server2] [server3] [server4] [serverX]

I'm sure we share a rack with 23 servers and I bet each server has its own 1/2 of a /24 block. We have 15 servers with this company and each server has 1/2 the block. And I agree, completely unnecessary.

> I'm not sure what I should do with the listing above since it does not
> tell me much, I'm afraid. From what I see you've sent some sort of
> your Linux distribution's network configuration. Since I don't
> understand its semantics I cannot comment it.

Oh. I was just sending the network setup stuff that our hosting provider did on these machines to show the subnetting.

>> If I can't get my hosting company to put me on 1 subnet, should I
>> revert back to my original IP config and use IP-TUN instead?
> Why wouldn't this be possible?

Well, I asked and they said no. They said once the servers are provisioned they can't make changes to the network. But if these servers are indeed on the same switch, can't I do the changes myself?

I presume you haven't change much of the configuration I've proposed earlier, so why does it work nevertheless now? Or did I misinterpret your email?

        Sorry. I should have stated that I changed slave #1 to your suggestion:

RIP = eth1  72.52.166.41/27
VIP = lo:35 72.52.166.35/32
DGW = eth1  72.52.166.33

I think later today I'm going to try TUN since I'll have to deal with the wierd VLAN setup our hosting company does. Is the best doc the mini-HOWTO?

Thanks,
Matthew