Re: Looking for Simple Instructions

Subject: Re: Looking for Simple Instructions
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:16:47 +0100
Matthew,

No. But I'm sure its something like this: (pardon the bad ascii)

                ----------
                  switch
                ----------
                    ^

    |         |        |         |         |
[server1] [server2] [server3] [server4] [serverX]

Definitely, but that's the uninteresting part. I'm still wondering how all the DGW fit your provider's setup?

I'm sure we share a rack with 23 servers and I bet each server has its own 1/2 of a /24 block. We have 15 servers with this company and each server has 1/2 the block. And I agree, completely unnecessary.

Ok, according to RIPE, 72.52.166./24 is ALLOCATED UNSPECIFIED: This address space has been allocated to an LIR or RIR. Assignments may be PA or PI. This status is intended to document past allocations where assignments of both types exist. It is avoided for new allocations. Sub-allocations cannot be made from this type of address space.

 > I'm not sure what I should do with the listing above since it does not
 > tell me much, I'm afraid. From what I see you've sent some sort of
 > your Linux distribution's network configuration. Since I don't
 > understand its semantics I cannot comment it.

Oh. I was just sending the network setup stuff that our hosting provider did on these machines to show the subnetting.

Fair enough.

 >> If I can't get my hosting company to put me on 1 subnet, should I
 >> revert back to my original IP config and use IP-TUN instead?
 > Why wouldn't this be possible?

Well, I asked and they said no. They said once the servers are provisioned they can't make changes to the network. But if these servers are indeed on the same switch, can't I do the changes myself?

You can of course if you have root access, but it's strongly discouraged of course since your hosting provider certainly has its reasons to give out those IP addresses (whatever reasons they have). Changing them could mean that you either potentially create duplicated IP address conflicts or that you hit the ACL of your managed switches or a VLAN port aggregation barrier. But from what I've seen in your next post, you've managed to get LVS-TUN running, so congratulations, you've found a solution!

I presume you haven't change much of the configuration I've proposed earlier, so why does it work nevertheless now? Or did I misinterpret your email?

    Sorry. I should have stated that I changed slave #1 to your suggestion:

RIP = eth1  72.52.166.41/27
VIP = lo:35 72.52.166.35/32
DGW = eth1  72.52.166.33

Ok, just what I thought then.

I think later today I'm going to try TUN since I'll have to deal with the wierd VLAN setup our hosting company does. Is the best doc the mini-HOWTO?

I'm the wrong person to ask, since admittedly I've rarely had the need to look up the documentation. I normally check the source code in this case :).

Best regards and lots of fun with your load balanced services,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc