Re: Our LVS/DR backends freezes

To: olle@xxxxxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Our LVS/DR backends freezes
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:35:15 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Olle Ö~Vstlund wrote:

Didn't I see somewhere that you set the TCP timeout on the director to
30mins?

Yes. We are running the SLES9 heartbeat/ldirectord where there is no
option of setting ipvsadm-attributes directly, so we are running the
default timouts (tcp 900 sec, tcpfin 120 seconds, udp 300 seconds).

I expect these are the timeouts for idle connections (eg for interactive services), not the tcpip timeouts. For Tomcat there should not be idle connections.

Ok. Since we are only running HTTP, and the Tomcat server is configured
to close an idle client-connection after 20 seconds, would it not make
sense to shorten the ipvs timeouts (tcp and tcpfin) to lets say 30
seconds?

probably not.

I'm out of ideas. You have a very standard setup and no-one else is having problems of this sort. The realservers are behaving properly (FIN_WAIT connections drop in 2 mins or so). If this was a bug in ip_vs, we'd hope we'd have heard from lots of other people with the same problem by now. I expect something silly has happened, which you can't track down. Can you do a default install, using default settings with a new kernel and see if that changes anything? Just have a single director with no heartbeat, just the ipvsadm rules.