Re: Help needed to configure SSH load balancing with LVS

Subject: Re: Help needed to configure SSH load balancing with LVS
From: "J.Libak@xxxxxxxxxx" <J.Libak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 21:37:20 +0100
XenResu wrote:
I'm having trouble configuring SSH load balancing with LVS.

I have the Director and a Real Server on the same network.
The Director uses an ip alias eth0:0 as the VIP

From the outside world, ssh to Director, VIP and the Real Server works
fine if ipvsadm isn't running.
Once I start the ipvsadm service, ssh to VIP times out.

# cat /etc/sysconfig/ipvsadm
-A -t VIP:ssh -s rr
-a -t VIP:ssh -r RealServer:ssh -w 1

I'm stumped.  What am I missing?

-Dave
If something like this happens, always try to run tcp dump on both servers and try telnet and see where the packets are going.

What I can tell you is read the LVS documentation twice (on the main lvs site,and on ultramonkey too, read about the problems you might encounter). LVS is very well documented (in comparison to heartbeat 2.0 which is a pain). If you understand what you are doing you won't waste time with trying to solve problems you run into because you don't understand the principle.

I think ipvsadm "service" only reads /etc/sysconfig/ipvsadm (or /etc/ipvsadm) and sets whats in there. I don't use the "service" I use ldirectord to set up ipvs "virtual services" or ipvsadm directly if something doesn't work.

Jaro