Re: Redirection of packets based on source IP address

Subject: Re: Redirection of packets based on source IP address
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 03:13:26 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, R.Govardhana Reddy wrote:

1. Can we redirect all the packets from one client to same
real server? Not based on particular service the client is
requesting.

no, you're asking for the opposite of loadbalancing. LVS requires that the gets its service from any realserver. You can keep the client on the same realserver using persistence, but this has side effects. Read about persistence to see if you can handle them.

2. Which forwarding technique is better?

they're all equally good.

3. Can I use any box in cluster as a Director and also as a
Real Server? (Is it local node feature)

In principle yes, and we thought that LVS's might operate this way in the early days, but no-one has ever been interested in getting more that two directors to work.