CPU Power required for directors?

Subject: CPU Power required for directors?
From: "Dan Brown" <danb@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:46:35 -0600
Currently I run a half dozen servers in a stream-lined high availability
setup using direct routing.   For various reasons, including setting up a
colocated site a thousand kilometers away, and adding (moving) a half dozen
more servers to the LVS, I want to move the directors off of being
integrated with the servers to being separate machines and also using
tunneling instead of direct routing.

What sort of CPU power is required for a director machine?  It's certainly
more than a firewall since there's routing (and encapsulation) involved.
Our servers (with Xeon 3GHz CPUs) with the integrated director running on
them always have a constant load on them (less than 2.0, but not always)
whereas the non-director (or non-active director) servers will be loaded at
0.6 or less serving out sites.
Our sites (around 150 of them) have been getting 20-30 million hits a month
(total, not each) and we serve about 200GB of data a month (although maybe
only 30-40GB of this is incoming requests).

I was thinking I'd just purchase a pair of Dell PowerEdge 860 rack mounts in
pretty much their most basic configuration (Celeron 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM) but I
am wondering if they'll do the job, or struggle under the routing load?

Dan Brown
zu.com communications
Design - Development - Programming
324 Duchess Street   Saskatoon, SK  S7K 0R1
tel.1.306.653.4747   fax.1.306.653.4774
http://www.zu.com

zu.com - now on your mobile device!