Re: CPU Power required for directors?

Subject: Re: CPU Power required for directors?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:12:42 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Dan Brown wrote:

What sort of CPU power is required for a director machine?

a 400MHz machine can saturate a 100Mbps ethernet link. How fat is your pipe?

It's certainly more than a firewall since there's routing (and encapsulation) involved.

routing and encapsulation are relatively cheap (although I don't know what "relatively" is). The slow step is (or was last time I looked) assembling the packet in the buffer, not constructing the parts that will make the final packet.

Can you change a couple of your LVS-DR realservers over to LVS-Tun and see if there's any effect? You could eventually have them all running LVS-Tun in your current site before you commit to the real off-site LVS-Tun setup.

Do you realise with the standard LVS-Tun setup that you can't do health checking on the realservers? You'll need to add a two way link between the realservers and the director.