Re: configuring LVS multiple realservers in director with localnode in S

Subject: Re: configuring LVS multiple realservers in director with localnode in SMP machine
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 08:36:42 +0100
Hi

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 20:48 -0500, Alexander Osorio wrote:
> For example, i have a CPU with 2 dual core processors, for Linux i
> have 4 processors, and running only one realserver in the machine is
> wasting the other processors.

Not entirely. The realserver process will migrate between processors all
on its' own, as the CPU scheduler determines that a given processor is
idle. In your case, however, having a dual-core HT processor which
*looks like* 4 processors, you actually only have 2. There are some
well-written pieces out there on the internet stating that for servers
you're actually better off having HT turned off, for Linux at least,
because the SMP overhead under HT consumes a small amount of
performance. I don't know whether or not this is right, though.

> ok. please another way?

Run a Xen host. Have several Xen guests - one for the director, and two
for the realservers. That way, although it's all virtual, it'll look
real to the guests.

Graeme