Re: [lvs-users] LVS and OpenVZ

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS and OpenVZ
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:01:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Gerry Reno wrote:

> Hi Joe,
> If I might ring in for a moment. Did you get a chance to attend the
> OpenVZ session?

I sat there for about 5mins and left. The talk wasn't very
good (at least for me) and I couldn't see I'd get anything
out of it.

> Hopefully they explained how virtual servers (VE's) are
> different from VM's.

no.

> VE's are basically just kernel-based supercharged chroot
> environments. The all share the same running kernel. That
> is why Rio was saying that you don't have the overhead of
> 84 separate running kernels. VE hosts are just huge
> schedulers for the apps that run inside the VE's. There is
> very little wasted resources. You can get many many more
> VE's on a host that you can VM's. And that is why I think
> in the future there will be about a 50-50 breakdown
> between the VE approach to virtualization compared to the
> VM approach. To the outside you cannot tell the difference
> between a VE and a VM. On the network they both perform
> the same.

I didn't know any of this. I'd assumed that everything was a
VM and didn't know a VE existed. Presumably this hasn't
helped my understanding of virtualisation.

Now to see what Rio has to say.

Thanks Joe