[lvs-users] arp_ignore issues

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] arp_ignore issues
From: Jacob Smullyan <smulloni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:48:12 -0400
Hi --

I have an LVS-DR cluster that has been running for years; its realservers
have linux 2.4 kernels and I use the noarp module to hide the VIP.  I now
want to add realservers with 2.6 kernels (2.6.20 at the moment), and am
attempting to use arp_ignore and arp_announce to solve the arp problem as
follows:

    # from sysctl.conf
    net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
    net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
    net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_ignore=1
    net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_ignore = 1
    net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_announce = 2
    net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_announce = 2

eth0 and eth1 both have real network interfaces; there are no others.  I
gather I'm supposed to add the VIP nowadays on lo.  So, having enabled the
above options, I attempt to add the VIP like so:

   ifconfig lo:0 $VIP

When this happens, the existing interfaces go beserk; my ssh connection to
the machine begins to drop most packets, and I am lucky to get enough
packets across to bring down lo:0, which restores the network to sanity.
Using iproute2:

   ip address add $VIP dev lo

the same thing occurs, and is remedied the same way (by taking the VIP off
the lo interface).

Is it obvious to anyone what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jacob Smullyan