Re: [lvs-users] arp_ignore issues

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] arp_ignore issues
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:27:11 -0500 (CDT)
In regard to: Re: [lvs-users] arp_ignore issues, Joseph Mack NA3T said (at...:

>> Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

>>> it's in the HOWTO as well
>>>
>>> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.html#2.6_arp
>> That HOWTO says:
>>
>>    On the realservers the VIP will still be on lo (as for the hidden
>>    method). If the reply packets to the client are routed through eth0,
>>    then the arp announcements/requests are made through eth0 and you
>>    will apply the arp_ignore/arp_announce sysctls to eth0, not to lo
>>    (you cannot use arp_ignore/arp_announce on lo).
>>
>> Mr. Mooney's settings apply the sysctls to lo, however.  I think my
>> settings, above, are consistent with the HOWTO -- or am I mistaken?
>
> Hmm. Seems I've flubbed up. Apologies all round. I looked at
> Tim's posting and then looked at the HOWTO and thought they
> were identical. I now look at the HOWTO to find they're not
> at all and that you've used it as is done in the HOWTO.
>
> (I remember the HOWTO was wrong for a while, I think acting
> on lo, which added to my confusion. I don't know how Tim's
> machine is working then.)

We've been using these settings on several different real servers ever
since we moved those boxes to Red Hat EL 4, which has the 2.6.x kernel.
Before that, we used a patched kernel on the 2.4 and 2.2 kernel series
to avoid the ARP problem with LVS-DR.

I wasn't even aware we weren't using the recommended settings.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)