Re: [lvs-users] arp_ignore issues

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] arp_ignore issues
From: Jacob Smullyan <smulloni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:15:15 -0400
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Tim Mooney wrote:
>

>> In regard to: [lvs-users] arp_ignore issues, Jacob Smullyan said (at
>> 5:48pm...:
>>

>>> Hi --
>>>
>>> I have an LVS-DR cluster that has been running for years; its realservers
>>> have linux 2.4 kernels and I use the noarp module to hide the VIP.  I now
>>> want to add realservers with 2.6 kernels (2.6.20 at the moment), and am
>>> attempting to use arp_ignore and arp_announce to solve the arp problem as
>>> follows:
>>>
>>>    # from sysctl.conf
>>>    net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
>>>    net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
>>>    net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_ignore=1
>>>    net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_ignore = 1
>>>    net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_announce = 2
>>>    net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_announce = 2
>>>
>> We're using
>>
>> net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
>> net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
>> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
>> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
>>

> it's in the HOWTO as well
>
> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.html#2.6_arp
That HOWTO says:

    On the realservers the VIP will still be on lo (as for the hidden
    method). If the reply packets to the client are routed through eth0,
    then the arp announcements/requests are made through eth0 and you
    will apply the arp_ignore/arp_announce sysctls to eth0, not to lo
    (you cannot use arp_ignore/arp_announce on lo).

Mr. Mooney's settings apply the sysctls to lo, however.  I think my
settings, above, are consistent with the HOWTO -- or am I mistaken?

js