Re: [lvs-users] LVS and OpenVZ

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS and OpenVZ
From: "Dr. Volker Jaenisch" <volker.jaenisch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:29:40 +0200
Gerry Reno schrieb:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>>

>>> realserver is an LVS term referring to the machine/node(s)
>>> that are being loadbalanced by the director.
>>>
>>> I've never liked the LVS nomenclature; e.g. "virtual",
>>> "realserver", but since I couldn't come up with an
>>> alternative and no-one else seemed to mind, I've just
>>> accepted it. We haven't had too much problems with the word
>>> "virtual" since we haven't run into other projects using the
>>> term much. However if realservers are going to be
>>> virtualised, there's going to be lots of name space
>>> collisions.
>>>

>> Joe,
>> I can see the term 'realserver' becoming a problem. A lot of people are
>> going to think this is real hardware when it's not limited to just real
>> hardware. I think a better term might be 'actual server' or 'runserver'
>> or 'destination server' or 'target server'
>>
> or 'pool server'

In fact the thing called "realserver" is no server at all it's a _service_. So
it may lead out of naming trouble to call them real and virtual services.

Best Regards,

Volker

   inqbus it-consulting      +49 ( 341 )  5643800
   Dr.  Volker Jaenisch      http://www.inqbus.de
   Herloßsohnstr.    12      0 4 1 5 5    Leipzig
   N  O  T -  F Ä L L E      +49 ( 170 )  3113748