Re: [lvs-users] LVS nomenclature [was: LVS and OpenVZ]

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS nomenclature [was: LVS and OpenVZ]
From: Rio <rio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:46:37 -0400
On Wednesday 04 July 2007 18:08, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
> > I mean I would not like to go to conferences and see people asking
> > questions like, "Is that the real realserver, or is it the real
> > virtualserver?" or "Is that the virtual virtualserver or the real
> > virtualserver?".   We are talking "Confusion!".
>
> The problem with the name "linux virtual server" is that it
> is all technical terms and you should be able to tell what
> it does from the name. However you can't and when you find
> out what it doesn, you can always say "well I thought it
> would probably did this..". At least with "squid" you know
> you don't know and have to be told it's a cacheing web
> proxy.
>
> LVS has been around long enough that it's probably not worth
> changing its name unless there's some major redesign of the
> code. So LVS is unchangeable.
>
> The name "director" or "loadbalancer" is defined and the LVS
> director fits right in to the definition. So no problem
> there.
>
> The name "realsever" has problems. We need a name with at
> least the following properties
>
> o doesn't collide with other names in computing/linux. You
> have to be able to google for it and get pages talking about
> LVS. "server" or "worker" is out.
>
> o has to be one word ("real server" is out), so you can
> google for it and I can search for it in the HOWTO and it
> won't be on two lines.
>
> o maybe implies functionality (a machine that sits behind
> the director and does all the work, but is never seen by the
> user)
>
> o can apply to a physical node or a virtual node.
>
> o has to be politically correct ("slave" is out).
>
> How about "drone" (job is to attend to the queen bee - the
> director)?
>
> Other ideas quite welcome.

drone is good. its a bit of a mouthful, but also 'controlled-server' could be
used. it doesn't care if it is virtual or a dedicated server. applied to LVS,
there should be a generic don't care the type reference to the servers LVS
controls. that places any confusion squarely on the admin doing the setup
since it would be up to him to think hardware box or virtual server.