Re: [lvs-users] LVS-DR Director doesn't rewrite MAC nor send to RIP when

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-DR Director doesn't rewrite MAC nor send to RIP when CIP is not local to subnet
From: Jessie <lists@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:16:12 -0700

On Jul 19, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Jessie wrote:
>
>> Update-
>>
>> I discovered the problem lies in routing. Our director is newly
>> multi-
>> homed and it seems that whichever interface our default gw lies, will
>> allow the LVS-DR to actually work. So for all other interfaces on the
>> director, the VIP instances will no longer work outside of the
>> subnet.
>
> you've done something funny with the routing.
>
> I assume there's clients on your LAN and clients coming from
> the internet. They all should have a route to the VIP (which
> I assume is on the outside/internet side of the director)
> even if the clients on the LAN have to make a short hop to
> the internet first.

Actually, our clients are on the outside/internet.
I noted that it works within the subnet just to state that LVS-DR is
load balancing *some* traffic

> The director doesn't need (and for security shouldn't have)
> a default gw for tcp/udp packets from the VIP - all return
> packets come from the VIP on the realservers.

Director:

eth0 = a public ip... let's say 64.65.66.67/24

eth1 = a private ip .. let's say 172.16.10.61/24

I have two, completely separate VIPS

VIP1: 64.65.66.70/32

VIP2: 172.16.10.20/32

the default gateway on the director goes out eth0 to 64.65.66.1/24

in this configuration, VIP2 does not work, VIP1 does.

if I change my default gw to a router/PIX on the eth1 network such as
172.16.10.254/32 then VIP2 will only work and now VIP1 will not.

I am using keepalived / vrrp and am wondering if I need special
virtual_routes ?

psuedo-code..

vrrp_instance VI_9
{