Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT dropping connection occasionally at random

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT dropping connection occasionally at random
Cc: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:22:22 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Jesse Cantara wrote:

Hi Jesse,
        Thanks for the complete problem report. I'm leaving
your whole post here so Julian sees it.

> Hello,

Hi Julian,
        Is this a problem with the masquerading code below
ip_vs()? If so it seems hard to imagine no-one else has seen
it.

> I'm trying to figure out a problem I'm having with my LVS-NAT setup.
> It's a very simple setup, one director, two networks (director has two
> nics, one on lan one on internet), three webservers on LAN only on port
> 80. The issue I'm having is occasionally and randomly the director will
> apparently just sever the connection when trying to download a file from
> the webserver. I have performed these tests just fine without issue:
> 1) Downloading a file directly from the director to a client
> 2) Downloading a file from the webserver to the director
>
> So it would appear that the physical connection is OK, I can make
> connections to the individual machines without problem, just when
> connecting through the director to the webserver.
>
> What happens is I will be downloading a file, and it will hang (at
> random points during the download, sometimes not at all), and not continue.
>
> ipvsadm will show "ESTABLISHED" on that connection for quite a long
> time, then "ERR!" after it times out I believe.
>
> Watching the traffic on a packet-sniffer client-side shows that directly
> before the failure, my client keeps sending the same "ack" message back
> to the server over and over, and the server appears to not recognize it.

we had a problem a little like that a while ago and I can't
remember if it was fixed or not (most likley we didn't fix
it).

> It must be related, but it makes me question where the problem is: the
> exact same sort of problem happens when I set up IPTABLES to forward a
> port on the director to one of the webservers directly. I'm not sure if
> I'm barking up the wrong tree asking on this mailing list, but hopefully
> somebody has run into something similar before, or can at least point me
> in the right direction :)

no this is the place to ask.

Joe