Re: [lvs-users] Two Server Pools

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Two Server Pools
From: "Michael Klatsky" <michaelk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:00:53 -0400
Jeff-

We have done exactly that. We have some services (various ports of
course) using the same VIP. However, we have also set up other
services that need to run on the same ports using a second VIP. One
issue we ran into, though- was that the VIP's configured as aliases
needed to be in the same network block as the RIP on the physical
device (eth0). We found that
in order to add a VIP in a different network block, we needed to
assign another RIP to a physical device, and then alias that second
device for services. Hopefully the example below will make that
clearer:

First set of services:

eth0: 192.168.1.50      <----RIP

 eth0:0   192.168.1.100  <--VIP
 eth0:1   192.168.1.101  <--VIP

 eth0:2    172.30.1.100     <-- VIP   ** This would not work
correctly, therefore we configure the second set below-

Second set of services:

eth1:  172.30.1.50       <--RIP

 eth1:0  172.30.1.100  <--VIP
 eth1:1  172.30.1.101  <--VIP

Then, just reference your VIP's in the config for your software. We
use ldirectord for this.

There are probably different/better ways to do this- setting up static
routes, etc but this solution works for us.

Good luck.

Michael