[lvs-users] UDP persistence woes

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] UDP persistence woes
From: Michael Pfeuffer <wq5c@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:20:46 -0600
Hi All,

I've got an LVS-NAT configuration that works for HTTP traffic, but SIP UDP
traffic is not being load balanced.  It always goes to the 1st RIP on the
list.  The services are all configured the same except for the checktype.

# ipvsadm -L
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
   -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
UDP  VIP:5060 rr
   -> RIP1:5060                    Masq    1      0          1
   -> RIP2:5060                    Masq    1      0          0
TCP  VIP:http rr
   -> RIP1:http                    Masq    1      0          0
   -> RIP2:http                    Masq    1      0          0

Here are the results for 2 queries to each service:

# ipvsadm -L --stats
Prot LocalAddress:Port               Conns   InPkts  OutPkts  InBytes OutBytes
   -> RemoteAddress:Port
UDP  VIP:5060                            1        4        4     1320     1218
   -> RIP1:5060                           1        4        4     1320     1218
   -> RIP2:5060                           0        0        0        0        0
TCP  VIP:http                            2       10       10      698      970
   -> RIP1:http                           1        5        5      349      485
   -> RIP2:http                           1        5        5      349      485

Once I've sent some SIP traffic, if I wait for the InActConn to go to 0,
then the next SIP traffic will round-robin to the other RS.

Here's my ldirectord.cf for the SIP service:

        checktimeout=10
        checkinterval=2
        autoreload=no
        logfile="local0"
        quiescent=yes

        # SIP port 5060
        virtual=VIP:5060
                real=RIP1:5060 masq
                real=RIP2:5060 masq
                service=sip
                scheduler=rr
                netmask=255.255.255.255
                checktype=negotiate
                protocol=udp

It's acting as if persistence is enabled, but it's not.  Any thoughts on
troubleshooting this?

Many thanks,
--Mike