Re: [lvs-users] Ldirector and swtich caching

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Ldirector and swtich caching
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:02:21 +0000
On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 09:52 -0500, Brandon Hilkert wrote:
> We have an ldirector box and a backup machine for it. We're in the testing
> phases of the failover, but I'm wondering how people handle the failure from
> a network standpoint. Most of our switches are in their default
> configurations and are caching addresses, so traffic wouldn't go where it
> should when the backup ldirector comes up.

I assume you mean that the *router* is caching the ARP entry mapping the
VIP to the now failed-out director?

There are many things you can do to mitigate this - the first and most
important thing is to realise that ldirectord does not do failover
itself. I will assume, therefore, that you're using heartbeat to fail
the directors over - and heartbeat is supposed to handle this by itself
using gratuitous ARP.

Of course, my assumption could be wrong - so how about you describe the
problem a little more clearly?

Graeme