Re: [lvs-users] what is the max throughput LVS can handle, and max numb

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] what is the max throughput LVS can handle, and max number of concurrent connection?
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:06:43 +0100
Jason,

That's 50,000 connections per second or up to 850MB/s (not 15MB/s).

We tried to following this coyote testing methodology (which they
copied from from F5), the important bit is the keepalive setting....
http://www.spirent.com/documents/atp/The_Tolly_Group-Public_Test_Report-1375.pdf

Tolly offered to do the same for us .. a snip at $30,000
So we hired some spirent kit and an engineer for a day... we were a
bit rushed to get it done in a day but we were pretty happy that
performance was comparable to Coyote and better than F5.

The main thing for us was to ensure that our basic kit could:
a) saturate a 1GB link with medium to large packets.
b) handle 50K/s transactions consistently without a sweat.. small packet sizes.
We also tested haproxy which we were pleasantly surprised by performance.
Also unloading or loading netfilter contrack modules made no
difference (as long as no rules were in place.)

No real system with live random traffic will ever come close to these
results due to the way ethernet/TCP/IP works.....

2009/4/11 <jason.faulkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > I would like to test the way you test to see if I  can get 50k/s and
> > 10,000,000 concurrent connection. What kind of test condition do you
> > use, clients? server? data size?
> >

> The throughput numbers are cake. I push >15MB/s through multiple firewall
> boxes; not this many concurrent connections, mind you, but a significatly
> higher throughput. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get good CPUs and NICs
> (multicore doesn't help).
>
> --
> Jason Faulkner
> Linux Systems Engineer