Re: [lvs-users] lvs for failover using weight 0

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] lvs for failover using weight 0
From: John Du <jjohndu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:40:39 -0700
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM, it-intuition <gerd.pickel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we are currently using lvs for balancing two webservers by using the wrr
> scheduler in combination with persistance.
> Now we want to modify our setup to use one primary webserver and a
> secondary webserver as a backup server. My idea was to set the weight of
> the primary webserver to 1000 and for the backup server to 0.
>
> These are the question that came up in my mind:
>
> 1. How will this setup behave if the primary webserver is down?
>
> 2. How will this setup behave if the primary webserver is up again?
>
> 3. Does a weight of 0 mean, that no connection to the backup server can
> be made (if the primary webserver is down)?
>
> The last question may sound stupid, but I read that a weight of 0 is
> often used to silently take a server out of a pool.
> So I think a weight of 0 prevents clients to connect; which is not the
> effect I want for our setup.
>
> Any help or comments would be appreciated.
>
> Gerd
>

> I run 4 OpenLDAP servers in multi-maser mode.  The LDAP servers are behind
an LVS director.  I also use wrr and set the weights to 250000, 1, 1, 1.  As
long as the primary server is running clients will connect to it and the
primary LDAP server will replicate to the other three servers.  If the
primary is down, clients will connect to the other three equally.

I am not using all four servers at the same time because the OpenLDAP
muti-master replication is not very reliable in my experience.  Essentially,
I am using LVS to make the LDAP service highly available.  It has been
working really well for me.