Re: [lvs-users] lvs for failover using weight 0

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] lvs for failover using weight 0
From: Thomas Pedoussaut <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 08:54:07 +0100
it-intuition wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are currently using lvs for balancing two webservers by using the wrr
> scheduler in combination with persistance.
> Now we want to modify our setup to use one primary webserver and a
> secondary webserver as a backup server. My idea was to set the weight of
> the primary webserver to 1000 and for the backup server to 0.
>
> These are the question that came up in my mind:
>
> 1. How will this setup behave if the primary webserver is down?
>
> 2. How will this setup behave if the primary webserver is up again?
>
> 3. Does a weight of 0 mean, that no connection to the backup server can
> be made (if the primary webserver is down)?
>
> The last question may sound stupid, but I read that a weight of 0 is
> often used to silently take a server out of a pool.
> So I think a weight of 0 prevents clients to connect; which is not the
> effect I want for our setup.
>
> Any help or comments would be appreciated.

I use a similar setup with LVS and keepalived, and I use the
sorry_server capability. Basically, it's the server that receive
requests when all the normal ones are down. The only drawback you have
to keep in mind is that it is not monitored by keepalived, so you need
to monitor it otherwise. Apart from that, it does the job, and when the
normal server comes back online, all new connections are directed to it.

Cheers
--
Thomas