[lvs-users] Unpredicatable failover

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Unpredicatable failover
From: Robin Bowes <robin-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:41:29 +0000
HI,

I've got LVS running using piranha/pulse/nanny on a couple of CentOS 5.4
boxes.

Generally, everything is working just fine.

However, I am experiencing apparently random failovers.

I've included my lvs.cf at the end of this message.

Now, as I understand it, the floating IP should stay on the primary
server (admin address: 192.168.55.3) unless it goes away, in which case
it should transfer to the backup (admin address: 192.168.53.4).

What I'm seeing is that traffic appears to switch between devices for no
apparent reason.

If I stop the pulse daemon on the backup, the services switch to the
primary server. But when I restart pulse on the backup, the services
switch back to the backup server - sometimes!

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Anyone got an explanation?

R.

/etc/sysconfig/ha/lvs.cf: (same on both primary and secondary)
serial_no = 74
primary = 192.168.55.3
service = lvs
backup_active = 1
backup = 192.168.55.4
heartbeat = 1
heartbeat_port = 539
keepalive = 5
deadtime = 10
network = direct
debug_level = NONE
monitor_links = 0
syncdaemon = 0
virtual counter_http {
    active = 1
    address = 72.249.55.60 bond0:60
    vip_nmask = 255.255.255.192
    port = 80
    send = "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n"
    expect = "HTTP"
    use_regex = 0
    load_monitor = none
    scheduler = wlc
    protocol = tcp
    timeout = 6
    reentry = 15
    quiesce_server = 1
    server 72.249.55.6 {
        address = 72.249.55.6
        active = 1
        weight = 1
    }
# another 9 servers snipped
}
virtual counter_https {
    active = 1
    address = 72.249.55.60 bond0:60
    vip_nmask = 255.255.255.192
    port = 443
    send_program = "/usr/local/bin/check_https.sh %h"
    expect = "OK"
    use_regex = 0
    load_monitor = none
    scheduler = wlc