Re: [lvs-users] question about LVS

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] question about LVS
Cc: "L.S. Keijser" <leon@xxxxxxxx>
From: Michiel van Es <mve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 11:41:00 +0200

-------- Original Message --------
From: L.S. Keijser <leon@xxxxxxxx>
<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/04/2010 11:19 AM

> On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 10:42 +0200, Michiel van Es wrote:
>> I started from scratch, I can not reinstall a whole server from scratch.
>
> I didn't say that. I repeated Graeme's suggestion to remove all traces
> from LVS configuration from your servers and start over again... without
> making use of heartbeat and/or ldirector.

I am now using LVS with a simple script on the LVS DR and the 2 real
servers so all tweaks and arptable issues are in 1 bash script.
That script is called at startup.

>> The real server are a minimum.
>> If you got a problem on a server you won't suggest your customers to
>> reainstall their complete server right? :)
>
> I do, if the customer doesn't know what he's doing and starts to change
> configuration parameters that he doesn't fully understand. It's often
> quicker to come to a solution that way without having to troubleshoot
> user-caused errors.

It is quicker to reinstall a server with cherokee with websites , SSL,
Mysql replication, Gluster node and Qmail then trying to find the issue
with the arp table?

> This is a quite basic LVS setup. There have been over 20 mails the last
> couple of days from you and people trying to help you. If you can't get
> it working by now, i fear that your network knowledge might not be up to
> par for understanding LVS.

I used the basic installation.
The basic documentation is 'basic'..so my changes are also 'basic'.
My network knowledge is also basic..I am not a routing guru but when I
read the several DR wiki pages..the changes on the real servers are 2 or
3 steps..you don't have to be an expert for that.
If there is something wrong it is perhaps something with iptables,
routing or arptables.

>> If I have an ARP problem, I could troubleshoot it right?
>> I have a working LVS director and a working real server (server2)
>> I used the mini howto for the real server and it is working on one
>> server and not on the other server.
>
> Maybe at some point in time you were following the HOWTO, but i see from
> your previous posts that you're using ldirector and heartbeat to do
> things for you that you don't actually understand. How are you going to
> troubleshoot that?

ldirector and heartbeat are off..I am just now using ipvadm (see my
earlier posts).
If you want I can post the scripts/settings I use on my LVS Dr and on
the real servers.
They are just small bash scripts from 20 lines or such..a LVS DR setup
isn't that many lines of changes.

> Anyway (final attempt), from what you describe it's either the ARP
> problem or a firewall problem. If you can connect from a client directly
> to port 25 on the non-working realserver, it's probably the former.
> Forget about sysctl.conf for a moment, take down the loopback device,
> then set the correct /proc parameters by setting them manually (echo
> value>  /proc/.../arp_announce|ignore) and then bring up the loopback
> device again without making use of the ifup script.

I've been there, this is how I set up my real servers:

#!/bin/bash
echo "0" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_ignore
echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_announce
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_ignore
echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_announce

#arptables -F
#arptables -A IN -d 194.145.200.87 -j DROP
#arptables -A OUT -s 194.145.200.87 -j mangle --mangle-ip-s 194.145.200.171

/sbin/ifconfig lo:110 194.145.200.87 broadcast 194.145.200.87 netmask
0xffffffff up
/sbin/ifconfig lo:110
/sbin/route add -host 194.145.200.87 dev lo:110

I use the exact same script on server2.

Can I use tcpdump to see what is going wrong?

> Léon

Michiel