Re: [lvs-users] question about LVS

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] question about LVS
Cc: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "L.S. Keijser" <leon@xxxxxxxx>
From: Michiel van Es <mve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 12:10:14 +0200

-------- Original Message --------
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/04/2010 11:52 AM

> On Tue, 04 May 2010 11:41:00 +0200, Michiel van Es<mve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> I am now using LVS with a simple script on the LVS DR and the 2 real
>> servers so all tweaks and arptable issues are in 1 bash script.
>> That script is called at startup.
>
> Good.
>
>> It is quicker to reinstall a server with cherokee with websites , SSL,
>> Mysql replication, Gluster node and Qmail then trying to find the issue
>> with the arp table?
>
> Nobody has suggested that. The suggestion was to go back to baics with
> LVS, which you've done.
>
> I for one would greatly appreciate some acknowledgement of the fact that
> people are trying to *help*, rather than arguing. We (allegedly) know what
> we're doing, hence the suggestions.

I am more then blessed that you guys want to help me.
I don't want to argue, I know I got an issue with one of my real servers
and perhaps my setup.

>> If there is something wrong it is perhaps something with iptables,
>> routing or arptables.
>
> No, there is something wrong with your setup.

Can perhaps I post the scripts I run on the LVS DR and the 2 real servers?

> It is worth pointing out here that using ARPing from your realservers is
> *not* a valid test. Ideally you need an off-net client to test with, or a
> client on the same net which does not participate.

I will try to ask the hosting company if they can run it on a server on
the same subnet and send me the results.

> As it stands, your ARPing results show the same MAC address for the VIP
> from both servers (your realservers?) which is a good start. Howvere what
> you didn't show us is whether that's the MAC for a realserver, the
> director, or some other layer 3 device on the same subnet...

The ip in 'arping 194.145.200.87' is the VIP I try to test on both real
servers.
It is the LVS DR mac:

(ifconfig on the LVS dr):

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:3e:0c:f6:ce
           inet addr:194.145.200.86  Bcast:194.145.200.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
           inet6 addr: fe80::216:3eff:fe0c:f6ce/64 Scope:Link
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:548454811 (548.4 MB)  TX bytes:374586688 (374.5 MB)
           Interrupt:14

eth0:110  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:3e:0c:f6:ce
           inet addr:194.145.200.87  Bcast:194.145.200.87
Mask:255.255.255.255
           Interrupt:14

> Now you've got a basic setup, what happens?

Server2 is working, server1 don't.
smtp is available on both servers from the LVS DR and from the internet.
Both use the same realserver bash script, OS and iptables/arptables setup.
Also disabling the iptables on server1 shows that the answer from the
LVS DR to clients is diffirent..suggesting it is a network issue somewhere.

> Graeme

Again, thanks for the help..I really appreciate it :)

Regards,

Michiel