Re: [lvs-users] is it possible to have ldirector and real cluster server

To: Mrvka Andreas <mrv@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] is it possible to have ldirector and real cluster server on same physical machine?
Cc: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:39:14 +0900
On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 09:31:19AM +0100, Mrvka Andreas wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I hope you can help me.
> I am using a simple 2 node cluster environment on SUSE Linux Enterprise
> Server 11 SP1 HAE.
>
> I only use ldiretord/ipvs and an apache service on both machines.
> My virtual IP address on interface lo:0 and real cluster IP on eth0.
>
> Regarding to the documentation of Novell it should be possible to have
> ldirectord etc. on the same machines.
> Do you agree?
>
> I ask because if I do a tcpdump I see lots of traffic from the client browser
> to the server (http port) and the tcp
> session will never end. ( client side has finished the transfer but on the
> server side tcpdump runs and runs....)

Hi Andreas,

if you want a pair of machines and you want one of them
to be the active linux director + a real server, and you want the other
to be the backup-linux director + a real server then yes it is
possible, but you need to take special care.

1. On the active linux director the VIP should be on lo and
   On the backup-linux director the VIP should be on ethX
   - That is, you need to move the VIP when a machine moves
     from being active to backup and vice versa.
2. The backup-linux director must not have LVS rules in place for the
   service being handled by the active linux director.
   - That is, you need to have ldirectord running on only the active
     linux director. Or in other words, you need to start it
     when a machine becomes active and stop it when it becomes a backup.
3. You have to make sure that arp_ignore and arp_announce are set correctly.

Its a bit old, but I have some notes on this at
http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/sl-ha-lb-eg.html

(In relation to ARP you want the "Debian" notes unless
 you have a really ancient kernel.)