Re: [lvs-users] -x (or --u-threshold) Limits Not Working Right

To: "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] -x (or --u-threshold) Limits Not Working Right
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:03:11 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Robinson, Eric wrote:

> I have a pair of Windows terminal servers behind my load balancer. I
> want to make sure that neither terminal ever gets more than 150
> connections, so I specified the -x (or --u-threshold) parameter
> accordingly. After a few hours, some users started complaining that they
> could not connect, and when I ran the ipvsadm command to check the
> number of connections that had been established, both servers were at
> around 120. I removed the -x parameter and the users could then connect.
>
> Why the difference between the threshold number that we set and the
> actual maximum number of realserver redirections that LVS allows?

        The algorithm counts both active and inactive connections
when checking the threshold, i.e. states before and after ESTABLISHED.
It hurts that SYN states are counted as inactive because it causes bad
scheduling even for WLC/LC schedulers. Do you see that active+inactive
sum exceeds the threshold of 150?

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>