Re: [lvs-users] How does the director server connect with eah real serve

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] How does the director server connect with eah real server ?
From: "Horst Venzke-Fa Remsnet Ltd" <support@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 16:44:32 +0100 (CET)
Dear  Hatt Tom,

see http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html
docu sample for keepalived as LB : www.keepalived.org/pdf/UserGuide.pdf‎
docu sample for ldirectord as LB :
http://www.tomvernon.co.uk/blog/2012/03/load-balanced-linux-web-cluster/

For real Productive Internet Services i wuold suggeest  don´t  use rfc1912
addresses at LVS-DR and realservers with LVS-DR.

see page : http://www.ultramonkey.org/papers/lvs_tutorial/html
Figure 2: LVS Direct Routing

In some words :

An Traffik-requestor ( end user with webbrowser i.e ) request to open i.e
www.test.org at his PC
That page  have IP 217.145.96.131 as it sample ( VIP ) IP

The LB´s( 2 or more servers)  manage the Virtual IP(VIP ) , IPVS kernel table
been managed by keepalived  or ldirectord .

Thus , the traffik that reach the VIP been redirected from the LB´s IPVS  to
realserver using arp discover
( some allowed to correct my wording here .. :-) )
Real servers must be configured to accept traffic for the virtual server's IP
address ( configured at lo:? , noarp usage at kernel)
Then the realserver directly answer to the traffik requestor.

see page : http://www.ultramonkey.org/papers/lvs_tutorial/html
Figure 2: LVS Direct Routing

There are more DR configuration variants  with i.e fwmark .
Depends on your network setup ( i.e behind an filewall, NAT Router or others )

My own HOME Cluster setup are use rfc1912 , i am BEHIND an NAT Router have only
one Public IPv4 but an dynamic class /48 IPV6  as well.
Sutch apply with  strange behavios ( i.e arp issues ) some times .

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Horst Venzke ; PGP NET : 1024G/082F2E6D ;  http://www.remsnet.de

Legal Notice: This transmittal and/or attachments may be privileged or
confidential. It is intended solely for the addressee named above. Any review,
dissemination, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you received this
transmittal in error, please notify us immediately by reply and immediately