LVS
lvs-devel

Re: Making IPVS work with IPv6

To: "Joseph Mack NA3T" <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Making IPVS work with IPv6
Cc: lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Julius Volz" <juliusv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:43:11 +0200
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Julius Volz wrote:
>  > Does this have any special implications in the IPv6 case?
>
>  possibly, possibly not. I was just warning you so that if
>  you came across it, you would recognize it.

Ok!

> > Again, interesting info. Is there a specific relation to
>  > IPv6 though?
>
>  I assume you'll be testing UDP, and if it behaves strangely,
>  you'll want to know which parts to blame us for :-)

I see, thanks! :)

>  > Aha, interesting. Could you explain a bit more for a
>  > newbie in what ways IPVS "bypasses" netfilter?
>
>  LVS controlled packets don't always follow the netfilter
>  path. They appear in the output without going through the
>  middle. So iptables rules don't always work.

Ah, a kind colleague just forwarded me this URL:

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.filter_rules.html#path_of_an_ip_vs_packet

So that fits to what I thought before. Basically, FORWARD is skipped
over and the "forwarding" is done manually in IPVS (by sending a new
packet, changed according to the specific load balancing mechanism? In
ip_vs_xmit.c, in one of the transmitter functions).

Julius

--
Google Switzerland GmbH