Re: hard wired solution to arp problem

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hard wired solution to arp problem
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:23:50 +0200 (EET)
        Hi,

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Joseph Mack wrote:

> In solaris you can set the hardware address of a NIC (although I forget
> how much lattutude you have to change things here). Can you do this in
> Linux?

        This can't help us if we always have to report it. We don't need
to define MAC address for tun, dummy and lo.

> Would a gratuitous arp from the directors flush a permanent entry in the
> router? (How do you force a gratuitous arp anyhow?)

        You can use Yuri Volobuev's send_arp.c from the 'fake' package or
Alexey Kuznetsov's arping from its iputils package:

fake - http://vergenet.net/linux/fake/
iputils - ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/iputils-ss991024.tar.gz

Regards,

Julian Anastasov