Re: hard wired solution to arp problem

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hard wired solution to arp problem
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:09:04 +0200 (EET)
        Hi,

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Joseph Mack wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Julian Anastasov wrote:
>
> > We don't need to define MAC address for tun, dummy and lo.
>
> How does a packet get to a tunl device from a remote machine
> without a MAC address?

        tunl, lo and dummy are used just to configure the VIP. We don't
send any packets through these devices. The requests are delivered to the
real servers using their real IP addresses. The director asks only
about their real IP addresses using the VS configuration. Only their
gateway asks about VIP but only the director must reply. When the
packet is received in the real server it is delivered locally (not
forwarded or dropped) due to configured VIP. This is the only role
of these "dummy" interfaces: the kernel to treat the received packet
as it is destined to our host (the real server). Nothing more. No IPIP
encapsulations (for tunl), no MAC address definitions, nothing more.
When we answer the request we use eth0. The tunl/lo/dummy is not
selected as device for the outgoing packets. We have routes for
eth0 (default gateway) which we use for the outgoing traffic.
This is for DROUTE and TUNNEL mode.

Regards,

Julian Anastasov