VS/TUN + Transparent Proxy Success [was Re: Horm's method (REDIRECT)]

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: VS/TUN + Transparent Proxy Success [was Re: Horm's method (REDIRECT)]
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:15:25 +0200 (EET)
        Hi,

        Guys, I tested it. For VS/TUN there is no requirement
VIP to be set for the tunl0 device in the real server. Please,
correct the docs: HOWOTOs, web, etc.

        My test results for the VS/TUN configs:

-       transparent proxy used

-       tunl0 can be configured with any IP which is uniq, i.e.
we don't like ARP problems. Allowed IP addresses:

        - the same IP address as the RIP (Real server IP), i.e.
        used in eth0, recommended
        - any other uniq IP address
        - 0.0.0.0 - we just decapsulate the packets which arrived
        through our interfaces, so there is no requirement for
        any local IP address, just the device must be up and running:

        ifconfig tunl0 0.0.0.0 up

        May be this can change in the future but we still can use
        any other IP, i.e. not 0.0.0.0

        By this way we can serve many VIP addresses attached
to any other local device, i.e. dummy*, tunl1 ... or by using
transparent proxy.

        Is this feature works by mistake for me?

Regards,

Julian Anastasov