Re: [lvs-users] IP management & LinuxDirector

To: Ty Beede <tybeede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] IP management & LinuxDirector
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:52:09 +0000 (GMT)
Ty,

I can't answer most of your questions, (*) but can perhaps help on
speaking up for the reliability part of the LVS director code. We're
currently shipping about 36 million HTTP requests per day through a bunch
of cache boxes load balanced by 2 LVS directors. Since we've been running
these systems, we've experienced zero downtime due to the LVS director
code.

Put it this way - if you're planning to load balance a system that will
need to balance a billion or more HTTP requests per month, LVS is
*definitely* up to the job.

I'd compare the stability of the unmodified LVS code to that of a
router/hub based on this.

(*) I think you're under a mis-apprehension though - the number set in the
    kernel config of the table size beinga power of 2 isn't a limit on the
    numbers of concurrent connections, it relates to a hash table, which I
    presume has overflow buckets, because during our test phase the number
    of concurrent connections through the director exceeded this - which
    presumably meant overflow buckets got used. (We're now running with a
    much larger table size :-)

    I may of course be *completely*, and utterly wrong here, since I
    didn't write the code, and have only passed a highly curious eye over
    it to see how it could be extended in other ways :-)

I suspect some of the the changes you're requesting are possible and would
be useful in many contexts. (eg during failover scenarios)

Michael.
--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G117
Manchester Computing                      T: 0161 275 7195