Re: [lvs-users] IP management & LinuxDirector

To: "Michael Sparks" <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] IP management & LinuxDirector
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ty Beede" <tybeede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:45:52 -0800
Michael,

Thanks for your input, I'm getting prepared to start working towards some
more solidifed implementation plans.  I didn't even consider the possabilty
of overflow buckets, I guess I assumed it was a hard limit.  I wonder if the
overflow buckets have some limit to their total size thus leading to a soft
limit followed after a given number of connections to a hard limit.  My real
intrest in the LVS is to avoid purchaseing a Cisco LocalDirector, which as I
understand it has something of a maxconnections command which will limit the
total number of connections to the cluster.  It would also be nice to one up
the local director with some sort of connection status checking code before
hashing the entry which would, if the currently handled connection is
greater than a set limit, redirect it to a different service then the one
requested, informing the user that the cluster has currently reached it's
max load.  Perhaps the service handling the max load could also inform the
user of the expected time delay before he/she should attempt to connect once
more?  Perhaps the LVS code LC/WLC algroithm could be adjusted to do the
connection status checking and redirection?  Perhaps I ask too many
questions?  Does the last question support itself? Did that one?

P.S. This is question is for Michael:

I don't know if you are the one to ask but what do forgin( I'm in America )
Universities( in the UK perhaps Manchester ) think of American students
looking for enrollment in undergrad/grad school?