Re: Direct/Tunneling lvs and spoofing protection

To: Stephen Zander <gibreel@xxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Direct/Tunneling lvs and spoofing protection
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:47:26 +0100
On 2000-03-14T12:53:41,
   Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>       The source address checking is very restrictive. We can't
> control via /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter packets with
> saddr=local_ip daddr=non_local_ip, i.e. forwarded packets, even
> when we use two different network devices to distinguish the
> source of the packet: real server or external client.

I do consider this a bug BTW - for LVS/DR's VIP, this check should be
disabled.

Even when you use the LVS as a router, DR may be desireable as opposed to NAT.

And the bug is non-obvious to new users.

Unfortunately, my kernel hacking abilities don't go this far, I could only
remove the check completely, but I think it would be much cleaner to
specifically allow this for the VIPs only.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>
    Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl