Re: Direct/Tunneling lvs and spoofing protection

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Direct/Tunneling lvs and spoofing protection
Cc: Stephen Zander <gibreel@xxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Stephen Zander <gibreel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Mar 2000 09:20:42 -0800
    Julian>     Yep, in VS/NAT mode you use the Director as default
    Julian> gateway for the real servers but for VS/DR and VS/TUN
    Julian> methods you have to use transparent proxy in the Director
    Julian> to receive packets for the VIPs. By this way if the
    Julian> Director thinks the VIP is not local, the outgoing packets
    Julian> will be successfully forwarded to the client.

I hadn't thought of using transparent proxying.  I'll see what that
will give me.

    Julian>     The source address checking is very restrictive. We
    Julian> can't control via /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter
    Julian> packets with saddr=local_ip daddr=non_local_ip,
    Julian> i.e. forwarded packets, even when we use two different
    Julian> network devices to distinguish the source of the packet:
    Julian> real server or external client.

I figured the spoof code as part of the problem, however, even with
echo 0 > .../rp_filter this doesn't work.  That's a bug, IMHO.  Not
very secure, but a bug just the same (even if it's only a
documentation bug).

--
Stephen

"So if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood."... "And
therefore?"... "A witch!"