Re: Direct/Tunneling lvs and spoofing protection

To: Stephen Zander <gibreel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Direct/Tunneling lvs and spoofing protection
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:05:16 -0500 (EST)
On 14 Mar 2000, Stephen Zander wrote:

>     Joseph> in VS-DR and VS-Tun the packets returning fromthe
>     Joseph> realservers to the client go directly to the client, via
>     Joseph> the realservers default gw and _do_not_ go via the
>     Joseph> director. With VS-NAT the packets go back through the
>     Joseph> director.
>
> In my configuration, the redirector is the default gateway.

The director which has a device with IP=VIP, will receive a packet from
the realserver with src-addr=VIP. I think this sort of packet is called a
martian and is normally droped by the recipient. There has been discussion
of what to do with martains on this group (you can push a 1 or a 0 into
proc somewhere to allow forwarding of martians) but nothing concrete has
come out if the discussion so far.

> The implication of that statement is that I must seperate my
> redirection and firewall systems to make lvs work with VS-DR or
> VS-Tun.

'fraid so.

> "Farcical aquatic ceremonies are no basis for a system of government!"

:-)

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx