Re: taking long time to connect to LVS-NAT VIP if client is in another s

To: Madhav <msp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: taking long time to connect to LVS-NAT VIP if client is in another sub net
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 07:51:00 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Madhav wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 03:40:17PM +0530, Madhav wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >     When I am trying to connect to my LVS-NAT VIP 172.16.31.71 from
> client
> > > with ip 172.16.1.4( it was in a diff. floor and so it has to go through
> main
> > > switch), it was taking a long time when compared with the time it takes
> > > connect to the VIP from a client in the same sub net as LVS-NAT
> cluster(e.g.
> > > an address like172.16.31.74).
> > >     Here is my setup.I have used two directors for my LVS-heartbeat-mon
> > > setup: master-172.16.31.72, slave-172.16.31.73 and two real servers with
> > > 10.1.10.25 and 10.1.10.26.
> > >     I am guessing that RARP resolution is causing the delay, because
> both
> > > IPs 172.16.31.71(VIP for LVS) and  172.16.31.72(RIP for master director)
> are
> > > claiming the same ethernet address( when the VIP is attached to the
> master
> > > director) . If this is the reason how can I reduce this? and if not
> please
> > > tell me what is causing this delay.
> >
> > You have two machines on the network with the same IP address?
>
> NO NO.. A machine has two IP addresses.
> I should have said ARP resolution I suppose. I am not very sure. Anyway here
> is the senario. The the address 172.16.31.72 is the eth0 address of my
> director1 or master and 172.16.31.71 is the eth0 alias of the same machine.
> So the director machine has two IPs. That is what it should be in LVS.right?
> I have installed a qmail server in both the real servers over NFS. LVS is
> providing load balance for mail  server.
>     When I connect to the LVS VIP through netscape from a client, which is
> in the same subnet as that of LVS, it is connecting immediately. But when I
> am trying to connect from a client in another subnet, whose IP is
> 172.16.1.4, it is taking a very long time( nearly 30 seconds). How can I
> reduce this delay when the client is in a different subnet. Is there any way
> we can hide the eth0 address. Thst solves the problem I guess.

        If this is only a delay what about DNS or IDENT problems?
Could be that the IDENT protocol used from the mailers causing
the problems? If Yes, You have to stop using IDENT. The LVS HOWTO
includes information about the IDENT problems. If this is not
the problem you have to show us a picture of your devices, IPs,
routes, etc.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>