Re: How to install ethernet card?

To: Eric <eric0802@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to install ethernet card?
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 13:57:37 +0200
Hi Eric

> The MAKEFILE is as attached. What should I do to install this ethernet

I don't think you really attached the Makefile.

> card on my linux machine?
> My linux is redhat 6.2.

What kernel?

> Should I ...
> 1...copy fa311.c to /usr/source/linux/driver/net

This is not a bad start, but not enough.

> 2...compile the kernel
> 3...reboot my linux machine
> 4...go to control panel , and then add eth module

???

> Is those steps right?.....what should I do?...I am appeciated for your

First, could you please turn off html?
And then, you could send me those files and I'll write you
a short kernel patch you can apply if the driver hooks
are kernel 2.2.x conform. I need following files:

Fa311.c
Fa311.h
Makefile (just to see how they compile their module, if
they EXPORT_SYMTAB or if

But you could also post the Makefile and then
I'm sure that everybody with MODULE compiling
experience can help you.

Basically, the following line should be enough:

gcc -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c Fa311.c

if not you can try:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fno-strength-reduce
-m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686
-DMODULE -c  Fa311.c

then you have to copy the resulting Fa311.o into
your appropriate /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net
directory and add a line into /etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 Fa311

do a depmod -a and hope that there are no
unresolved symbols :)

enter ifconfig eth0
have a look at the dmesg output and enjoy!

But I can also write a short kernel patch
for you!

HTH,

Roberto Nibali, ratz

--