Re: How to install ethernet card?

To: Eric <eric0802@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to install ethernet card?
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 17:30:18 +0200
Hi Eric,

Eric wrote:

> HI Ratz,
> for these attached files,
> 1...the logfile is the output after I run all commands u told me in last
> email

After having had a look into the logfile and glancing
at following output:
[root@localhost /root]# insmod fa311
Using /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/fa311.o
[root@localhost /root]#
I was happy again! Your card works absolutely
fine!!! That's why I asked for the logfiles
some more output. It makes life so much easier.
Ok, configure your network and then you can
start working with your linux box and don't
need to write with outlook express anymore.
How does this sound? ;)

> 2..the others are what I get from nic driver disk
> 3....redhat 6.2 is using kernel 2.2.14 and LVS 0.9.7

Pretty old for lvs, you should probably upgrade.
Some other redhat users will certainly help you
and provide you with the links to the appropriate
rpm's to upgrade.

> 4...I just reinstall my redhat 6.2, so I think my kernel is clean now...

It's not but this is another story. See the uname -r
output: 2.2.14-5.0

> 5...I have only one nic

That's what the logfile showed me. So you see, sending
all information you can about a problem helps people
trying to help you track down the problem faster and
then there is more time left for a good beer! (joe?)

> 6....someone told me that netgear card (my nic) can use tulip modules, is
> that true?..how to use it??

After visiting the ultimative linux network driver page:
http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

Ethercards reported to use the DEC Tulip chips
Many Ethernet adapter cards use the Tulip chip.
The list grows so rapidly that it's impossible
to keep up to date, but here are cards that I
have received reports on:

Netgear FX310 TX 10/100
      21140AE, tested with 0.87.

Yours is a FA311, but I think this should work.
You can try to configure the kernel to use the
tulip ethernet module.

if you want to continue to use your self-compiled
fa311.o module and make it reboot-safe, you can
add a line into /etc/conf.modules like:
alias eth0 fa311
But if the redhat kernel is compiled user-friendly,
the module will automatically be loaded if you
do a 'ifconfig eth0 <someIP> up'

that's it, you're done. hook up the net and
configure the director! Be sure to read the
excellent HOWTO.

ratz

--
mailto: `echo NrOatSz@xxxxxxxxx | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`