Re: How to install ethernet card?

To: Eric Hsu <erichsu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to install ethernet card?
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:20:30 +0200
Hi Eric,

Eric Hsu wrote:

> HI Ratz,
> I am appreciated in ur reply. I can compile the driver-file and get
> driver_file.o now. I am pretty new for linux, but I need to setup LVS for my
> project.

No worries, we'll succeed :) But as a linux-newbie it's kinda
tough to start with such a project, be warned. On the other
hand it's the best way to learn a lot very fast!

I hope you don't mind if I cc this to the lvs-list.

> I have two problems as following...
>
> 1..since I have fa311.c fa311.h fa311.o, how can I do to make the nic driver
> build-in my kernel. I am using redhat 6.2

'#' := comments

# If everything was designed 'normally' you should be able
# to do (as root):
cp fa311.o /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/net
depmod -va | grep fa311
# This should show you that the module can be inserted.
insmod fa311
# if this command returns without an error, you're done.
# to test you have to type:
ifconfig eth0 1.1.1.1 up
# if this returns without an error you can start
# configuring the lvs.

# if it does not work, please let us now your kernel
# version and provide us with your drivers and we'll
# fix it for you :)

# I'm just in a very good mood today and I'm already
# doing some patches so one more doesn't really take
# too much time :)

> 2...how can I dynamicly load the modules into kernel??

By calling insmod or modprobe. But I suggest you start
reading some Linux Guide at http://www.linuxdoc.org if
you've enough time and plan to use Linux for a longer
time period.

> Thanks for ur kind help and time. I am really very appreciated...I have been
> working three days on this problem...

Today will be the last day of problem :)

regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz