Re: realserver1 redirects to realserver2 :-(

To: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: realserver1 redirects to realserver2 :-(
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, proellt@xxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Thomas Proell wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > the real-servers. For both the director and real-servers in VS-DR and
> > VS-TUN the default gw should be the router infront of the director (the
> > IP of your test client for a test setup).
>
> I changed it to 192.168.10.9, which is the IP of the client.
> I don't really understand, why this should be done. What is
> the default-gw for?

It's the address of the machine which handles packets
whose routing is not handled by the local routing table
(netstat -an).

Which brings up another point; can you
send me the output of netstat -an for the director, and
the two real-servers (with a note telling me which IP's
are which machines)?

> At this moment, I can watch (with tcpdump) the client
> asking the director for a page.

Do you mean "asking for a page from the VIP"?

The director doesn't
> use the squid-farm, but he redirects the request to his
> default-gw, which is the client again.

You're making it too complicated. What happens with telnet?

> So, what's the default-gw for? Why does he use it instead
> of the realservers?

the default gw for the director can be anything at all really,
as long as packets get to the right places. The default route
for the real-servers has to be anything but the director (look
in the HOWTO).

> > (Looks like I need another check)
>
> Sorry. The dummies will always find something :-)

If I haven't written it for the way the users use it,
then I have to fix it :-)

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx