RE: Direct Routing sucking up System Resources?

To: "Joseph Mack" <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Direct Routing sucking up System Resources?
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Jeffrey A Schoolcraft" <jschoolc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:49:09 -0400
Sorry about the confusion with the language.

Yes, 1 thread = 1 perl process.  Yes, 2*100Mb/sec initially.
My test machine had a gig card, through a gig switch to the two 100Mb/s
cards on the servers.

Rest of the response inline.

yes, it does.

> and load on the lvs goes up to about 50-60%.
> > (LVS is running all by itself on this server).
>
> where/how do you measure this? I've never got above 5% with
> VS-DR monitoring with top. Then I've never put through more
> than 50Mbps either.

I measured it with top.

> > When I bump it up to 6 or
> > more, performance is terrible and the LVS get's killed,
>
> do you mean that the throughput dropped?

yes.

> (like 90-100% system
> > resources, as reported by top).
>
> > I thought we should have no overhead running a DR approach.
>
> Shifting 100Mbps of packets requires some work, but I wouldn't have
> expected the results you got.
>
> you sound like you've pushed VS-DR harder than anyone else. I wouldn't
> have expected that the director be working any harder than if it was
> just routing the same number of packets. So I don't know why this
> happened.

cool.

> I assume you have 100Mbps ethernet and 1 client. What is the throughput
> returning to the client for each of these tests and how does that compare
> to the throughput you get when getting the files directly from
> the real-servers?

having tried this yet.  I imagine throughput would drop.  I thought about
adding extra nics into
each machine to see if we could get more performance that way, but it didn't
seem to be the case.

> How does this compare to changing the LVS director to just a router for
> the two realservers.
>
> You must have a healthy set of disks on the real-servers to get 100Mbps
> of files back from them.

yeah, healthy, fast, and raid.

> Joe
> --
> Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, Lockheed Martin
> contractor to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
> mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA

Jeff