Proper way to add/remove servers

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Proper way to add/remove servers
From: "David D.W. Downey" <david.downey@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:15:39 -0700
OK, what is the proper way to add a server to the LVS cluster without
requiring a restart of the LVS daemons?

We are using piranha here from the VA Linux 6.2.3 release.

Here is what I've been attempting.

First, I've tried adding the server to the pool in lvs.cf and running
killall -HUP pulse. This fails and kills the LVS so that it rolls the IPs
over to the backup. (To be expected I guess since this effectively nukes
the daemon.)

Second I tried it doing the same process with nanny thinking that it would
still keep the LVS alive and just force a reload of the lvs.cf file into
memory thus causing it to load the new server(s). This fails the same way
as pulse did.

Third I tried running the following:

ipvsadm -a -t 216.200.192.111:80 -r 192.168.1.10 -m -w 1

While it does successfully add the server to the list, it does NOT however
save the change to the config file. Is it NOT supposed to save? Yes,
adding it thi way will get it into the list of real servers to use, but it
seems that I will also have to manually add the server to the lvs.cf file
rather than having the option to pass a switch to dump the config to a
file from what's in memory.

Is this unexpected behavior or am I barking up the wrong tree?
---
DAVID D.W. DOWNEY                SENIOR LINUX SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
QIXO, Inc.                                      Home Page               =
http://QIXO.com
2192 Fortune Drive                          Company Email        =
ddowney@xxxxxxxx
San Jose, CA 95131                        Company Phone       =        +1
(408) 514-6441
USA                                                Company FAX         =
+1 (408) 516-9090
---