Re: Verisign Certs

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Verisign Certs
Cc: "David D.W. Downey" <david.downey@xxxxxxxx>, Linux Virtual Server Mail List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:42:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Joseph Mack wrote:

> I take it you don't mean how to get a certificate from Verisign (ans=fill in
> one of the worst html forms on the internet)
>
> I assume you mean something like "what do you need certificate wise to set
> up lots of https sites". You need a certificate for each website. The
> certificate is for the name, not the IP. You have multiple LVS real-servers

the certificate is branded with the name but the SSL session is
established prior to HTTP so if you use named-based virtual hosting
(multiple names on one IP) the webserver won't know which certificate to
send to the client.  You need to use IP-based virtual hosting with SSL so
the correct certificate gets sent to the client.  Otherwise the client
will bitch and moan about the names not matching.

-Matt

> all with the same name, all using copies of the same certificate. Before you
> spend all your money, set up some self-signed certificates  from the
> Snake Oil Co.
>
> Joe

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com