can LVS be run ON the firewall box?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: can LVS be run ON the firewall box?
From: "K.W." <kathiw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:37:21 -0500
Hi,

After a disappointing experience with iptables, which I can't get to do
load-balancing at this point, I am turning to ipchains and LVS to
firewall and load balance two web servers.

I'm sorry if this is such a basic question, but I have not seen the
answer in the LVS archives, and did not receive an answer from the
ipchains list: can I run my ipchains firewall and LVS (piranha in this
case) on the same box? It would seem that I cannot, since ipchains can't
understand virtual interfaces such as eth0:1, etc.

I have a full ipchains firewall script, which works (includes port
forwarding), and a stripped-down ipchains script just for LVS, and they
each work fine separately. When I merge them, I can't reach even just
the firewall box. As I mentioned, I suspect this is because of the
virtual interfaces required by LVS.

If running both services on one box is impossible, do I need two boxes
with two NICs each? Seems like an awful lot of translation will be going
on, which could impede performance.

Any help and/or ideas are much appreciated. I will be happy to provide
more details if necessary.

thanks,

Kathi Whalen