Apache/Tomcat/proxy

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Apache/Tomcat/proxy
From: Billy Quinn <bquinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:30:51 -0400
All,

I've checked the mailing lists on the following problem and wanted to be
sure I've come to the right conclusion . That being , having the need of
buying an expensive ( higher layer) load balancer :<

I have the following situation :

A head node , which load balances port 80 ( using persistence because of
sessions ) to 3 real servers which each run an apache web server , and
tomcat servlet engine. Each of the 3 servers is independent and no tomcat
load balancing occurs.

This has worked great for about a year , while we only had to support
certain IP address ranges. Now, however , we have to support clients using
AOL and their proxy servers, which completely messes up the session handling
in tomcat . Anotherwords , one client comes from multiple different IP
addresses based on which proxy server it comes through .

I've checked the mailing list and persistence paper, and it seems the thing
to do is to adjust the persistence granularity . However , if I adjust the
netmask, all of our internal network traffic will go to one server , which
kind of defeats the purpose.

What I'm concluding is , that I'll need to change the network architecture (
since we are all on one subnet ) , or buy a load balancer which will look at
the actual data in the packets ( layer 7 ? ) .

Am I missing something ? Or is that some magical way of achieving what I'm
trying to do. Ideas ?

Thanks
Billy