Re: Apache/Tomcat/proxy

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bquinn@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Apache/Tomcat/proxy
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:18:01 -0400
> This has worked great for about a year , while we only had to support
> certain IP address ranges. Now, however , we have to support clients using
> AOL and their proxy servers, which completely messes up the session handling
> in tomcat . Anotherwords , one client comes from multiple different IP
> addresses based on which proxy server it comes through .

Well you understand the problem.

There has been comments by people dealing
with this problem (not many), but they seem to be still able to use LVS.
We don't hear of anyone who is having lots of trouble with this,
but it could be because no-one on this
list is dealing with AOL as a large slice of their work.

> I've checked the mailing list and persistence paper, and it seems the thing
> to do is to adjust the persistence granularity . However , if I adjust the
> netmask, all of our internal network traffic will go to one server , which
> kind of defeats the purpose.

if 1/3 of your customers are from AOL you could sacrifice one server to them,
but it's not ideal. If all your customers are from AOL, I'd say we can't help
you at the moment.

how many different proxy IPs do AOL customers arrive on the internet from?
How many will appear from multiple IP's in the same session and how big
is the subnet they come from? (/24?)

If AOL customers come from at least 3 of these subnets and you have 3 servers,
then you can use LVS as a balancer.