RE: Apache/Tomcat/proxy

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bquinn@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Apache/Tomcat/proxy
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:51:19 -0700
Over here we also need layer-7 'intelligent' balancing with our
apache/jakarta setup.  We utilize two tiers of 'load-balancing'.  One is the
initial LVS-DR round-robin type setup, while the second layer is our own
creation, layer-7.  Currently we round-robin the first connection to one
server, then that server calls a routine that will ask the second-tier
layer-7 java monitor boxes which box to send the connection to.  (If for
some reason the second layer is down, standard round-robin occurs).

We're about 50% done with migration from cisco LD (yuck!) to LVS-DR.  After
the migration is fully complete the goal is to have the two layers
interacting more efficiently and hopefully merged into one 'layer'
eventually.. for example, if we tell our java-monitor second-tier
controllers to shutdown a server, the first tier will then mark the node out
of service automatically.

PS - we found the added layer-7 intelligent balancing to be about 30-50% (?)
added effectiveness to cisco round robin LD.. I think the analogy of a hub
versus a switch works fairly well here..

Peter